[mythtv-users] Tuner Schedules

Dave Pearson lists at the-pearsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 05:25:32 UTC 2011

On 17/03/11 02:50, Spencer Herzberg wrote:
> Hi, is there a way to easily setup schedules for tuners? So that say
> Tuner A can't record anything from 5pm to 1am, and Tuner B from 10am
> to 12pm?
>
> My setup has my master backend in the bedroom and the hd receiver is
> hooked up to my tv through my hdpvr. We watch tv at night and the Miss
> doesn't like to use the Mythtv frontend for live tv (yet). If I could
> just schedule that tuner to not be available between 5pm and 1am, that
> would be a perfect fix until I can get her to use the mythtv frontend.
>
> I have tried cron jobs with mythbackend --nosched but it seems that
> this will need to rebuild the recording schedules at the time the
> command is called which is not quite ideal. I want the tuner to not be
> available during certain time slots and this to be reflected in the
> "Upcoming Recordings" displays.
>
> Thanks for the help!

I have a similar situation with my Sky + box being used for live TV most
of the time. The way I've got around this is to have the Channel Change
Script check a control file to see if it is OK to change channel or not
(in my case it's only OK if it's changing channel in order to record a
program, not if it's a "live TV" channel change). You could easily
modify your channel change script to check the Time of Day, or, if you
wanted to be able to do the same as me you can use the "Recording
Pending" event to set the flag in a control file. The "Recording
Pending" event is triggered about 3 or 4 time in the minute or two
before the recording is due to start, you can't use the "Recording
Started" event (as would seem to be the obvious trigger to use) because
it is triggered even when Live TV is started.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

Regards,
Dave.