[mythtv-users] Raid5 with XFS

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 18:26:36 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Spencer Herzberg
<spencer.herzberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I know that this is not the perfect place for this question, but I figured
> the domain knowledge of this list for this topic would be pretty good (and I
> follow this list more then any other and 99% of what will be on this raid5
> is mythtv recordings...).
> I currently have a software raid5 with ext3 which has worked fine for the
> last few years. I am moving to new 2tb drives for another raid5 and would
> like to run an XFS filesystem. I really want to set up the raid on my system
> and get the old raids data duplicated and then continue to run the machine
> as is with the new drives. The current machine is 32bit Ubuntu 10.10. I read
> here: https://wiki.edubuntu.org/XFS that a disadvantage is that you cannot
> just move the filesystem from a 32bit to a 64bit machine, which I want to do
> in the future by re-installing a 64bit OS on the system drive.
> Has anyone done this? Was the post correct in saying that you cannot just
> move the filesystem without running xfs_repair? I haven't been able to find
> any proof that this is the even the case and I would rather not have to
> perform a xfs_repair on the filesystem if I don't have to (less manual
> messing with a filesystem seems like it would be best on 4-6tb of drive
> space).

Years ago I was big on xfs and used it a lot in raid. But now with
ext4 being out for a few years I have moved back to ext4. Since that
does not have the small file penalty of xfs but still has fast large
files unlike ext3 which is very slow deleting large files. With that
said I for raid I am talking mostly about what I do at work. I have
removed all raid at home to save power. I backup the important 50GB of
data out of my 10 or so TB of home storage (mostly used with mythtv).

John