[mythtv-users] tearing my hair out with audio over hdmi

Matt Harrison iwasinnamuknow at genestate.com
Wed Mar 9 15:18:45 UTC 2011

Hi list,

I've googled for days, tried upteen different settings and nearly gone
bald and I still cannot get audio over hdmi working on this nVidia ION
chipset. I'm running Gentoo mainly but I have exactly the same result
with Mythbuntu LiveCD (And I'm just about to try an XBMC livecd just in
case -- hey, i'm desperate).

I've made tiny bits of progress here and there which (reading many many
MANY forum posts) should mean it is working, but no.

Is there anyone here who has managed this? someone who would be willing
to go through some things with me and get this working.

The HDMI output shows up fine in "aplay -l" and "aplay -L", I can use
speaker-test or aplay on the card/device with no errors. I've tried
muting/unmuting everything in alsamixer (several analog related channels
plus 3 s/pdifs). It all _appears_ to work fine. It's just silent.

Analog audio works without problems but no matter what I try I cannot
get HDMI working.

I would be so grateful if someone could help, I'm literally about to
throw it all out of the window thanks to all these smug ubuntu people
saying how easy it was to get working on the forums :P

Many thanks

Matt