[mythtv-users] UK: Unplayable BBC HD 1920x1080 recording (be careful what you wish for)

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Jun 30 08:09:39 UTC 2011

On 30/06/2011 09:00, mythtv . wrote:
> On 30 June 2011 08:40, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net
> <mailto:lists at glidos.net>> wrote:
>
>     I recorded a bit of Wimbledon on BBC HD yesterday evening around
>     7:15, and my Zotac ION based FE couldn't play it back without
>     stuttering! ffmpeg said it was 1920x1080 rather than the 1440x1080
>     that we've been used to. I've had a few 1920x1080 recordings
>     before, and they've played back ok, but this one wouldn't - well,
>     not without setting it to "progessive" so that the deinterlacing
>     was turned off.
>
>     I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come. There we've
>     been asking the BBC to transmit 1920x1080, and actually we've
>     gone and shot ourselves in the foot, perhaps.
>
>     Cheers,
>             Paul.
>

> Wasn't there another thread on here about the BBC HD retune which was to
> enable them to switch to 1920 or whatever to allow side by side 3D
> transmissions? Might have something to do with it???

Yes, that's right. But still, I worry that they might change their
non-3D transmissions permanently, in a way that makes them too hard
for ION to decode.

I think the recording may have been a higher than usual bit rate too.
1.2 GB for 12 minutes. That's all told, video, audio and transport,
so difficult to know the actual video rate.

Cheers,
	Paul.