[mythtv-users] UK: Unplayable BBC HD 1920x1080 recording (be careful what you wish for)

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Jun 30 08:08:13 UTC 2011

On 30 Jun 2011, at 09:40, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> I recorded a bit of Wimbledon on BBC HD yesterday evening around
> 7:15, and my Zotac ION based FE couldn't play it back without
> stuttering! ffmpeg said it was 1920x1080 rather than the 1440x1080
> that we've been used to. I've had a few 1920x1080 recordings
> before, and they've played back ok, but this one wouldn't - well,
> not without setting it to "progessive" so that the deinterlacing
> was turned off.
>
> I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come. There we've
> been asking the BBC to transmit 1920x1080, and actually we've
> gone and shot ourselves in the foot, perhaps.

BBC HD is one of the more demanding h264 encodes commonly seen, so maybe not so surprising that it's even more demanding when running at full resolution! Maybe it's too demanding for some set top box decoder chips and this is the real reason they have been running at 1440 all along...

That said it plays fine on my GT430, well no more glitches than any other HD recording anyway :-P

Does look really good on some programmes, the ones that are evidently top quality productions, technically at least.

Andre