[mythtv-users] live TV program overrun causes loss of recording

Don Lewis dl-mythtv at catspoiler.org
Tue Jun 28 16:59:51 UTC 2011

On 28 Jun, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/28/2011 11:27 AM, Dan Wilga wrote:
>> If it could also ignore current recordings, that
>> would be ideal for me. I sometimes end up with a recording that has the
>> wrong episode information, so what was recorded isn't what was in the
>> listings. I want to keep the "bad" episode,  but I also need to
>> re-record the missing one. Currently, there's no easy way to do this,
>> since the "bad" one gets treated as a duplicate of the rebroadcast.
>
> You need to go to Watch Recordings, select the bad recording, and
> MENU|Scheduling Options|Allow this program to re-record.  If you do that
> /in Watch Recordings/ (as opposed to selecting, "Allow this episode to
> re-record," in "Previously Recorded"), MythTV will ignore not only the
> recording history for that episode, but also the currently-recorded
> episode.  So, you can keep the bad recording just in case the network
> decides not to re-run the episode.

I do all my scheduling in mythweb and enter a lot of custom rules for
this sort of thing.  I've ended up always just turning off duplicate
detection for these rules because there have been a number of times when
the rules have failed to trigger because the scheduler thinks the
episode has been recorded even though it hasn't.  What's weird is that
the episode is not highlighted in the listings as having been recorded,
but if duplicate checking is not totally disabled for the custom rule,
the scheduler seems to think that the episode is present in both the
current and previous recordings.  A check of the database doesn't show a
matching subtitle or description in either table.  This is been on my
list of things to debug for a very long while, but I haven't managed to
find the time to delve into it.  Just a heads up ...