[mythtv-users] How best to move to git bleeding edge from fedora rpm

Mark mythtv at sladenfamily.com
Sat Jun 25 00:55:37 UTC 2011

I would like to transform my myth box from a rpm based system to a
git based system.

mdean made a change recently that I would like to pick up.

Looked out there for advice on how best to move from one system to
the other, and I am drawing a blank from google.

I know a bit about how to use git (have been using svn at work for
over a decade now) and I have made a copy of the code.

What I don't understand is the best way to make sure I don't toast
all of my good settings so I can have minimum down time in the conversion.

What I THINK I have to do:

back up the mysql mythconverg database ( I have seen a script to do
it, don't remember where it was, but that is not a problem... I can find that).
rpm -q -a | grep mythtv
Inspect the list and delete everything that I think is provided by
the git repository.
Go to my local mythtv git repository and do a make (maybe config,
whatever the README says).  Install the executables.
Restore the database.
reboot and pray.

Has anyone done this recently?  Are there instructions somewhere?

Thanks
Mark