[mythtv-users] How best to move to git bleeding edge from fedora rpm

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jun 25 01:05:36 UTC 2011

On 06/24/2011 08:55 PM, Mark wrote:
> I would like to transform my myth box from a rpm based system to a
> git based system.
>
> mdean made a change recently that I would like to pick up.

Out of curiosity, which change are you looking for?  Is it one on master
that's not in -fixes?  If so, there were a couple of fixes I've
considered backporting, but haven't decided it's worthwhile, yet.  If
someone was looking for one of them, though...

Or is this a fix that went into -fixes?  If so, aren't there updated
RPMs available that pull from 0.24-fixes?  Which distro are you on?

FWIW: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

> rpm -q -a | grep mythtv
> Inspect the list and delete everything that I think is provided by
> the git repository.
> Go to my local mythtv git repository and do a make (maybe config,
> whatever the README says).  Install the executables.
> Restore the database.
> reboot and pray.
>
> Has anyone done this recently?  Are there instructions somewhere?

There's a /very/ high level description  of getting the code at
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ (where you probably want "Stable: If you'd
like to get the 0.24 stable branch, do this:").

Besides that, your above list of steps seems pretty much correct--though
if you're using the same system, you probably won't need to restore the
database (no sense replacing it with a copy of itself).  If you're going
to new hardware, see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration .

Mike