[mythtv-users] Remove a dead slave backend server

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 14 12:46:28 UTC 2011

On 06/14/2011 07:25 AM, Greg Ewing wrote:

> I’ve looked through a chain of emails on this topic from 2009 but the
> suggested fix has not resolved my issue. The problem I am experiencing
> is perhaps subtly different. I don’t use a frontend in normal
> operation as I have a TV with DLNA support and I only ever use uPNP to
> watch media. I also don’t have a capture card so have a demo test
> recorder configured just to get mythtv to run.
>
> When I do run the frontend I typically only use it to trigger an
> update of the database of media filed on the disk by going to Video
> Manager, pressing ‘M’ and selecting Scan. I’ve found I need to do this
> to keep MythWeb up to date with changes to the media library.
>
> I’ve been having problems with this setup in that I didn’t know how to
> get the scan to run so I built another Myth server under VMWare (
> works beautifully by the way ) with the same set of constraints and
> used it to learn how to update the database. Well, in my fumbling
> around I have inadvertently created an entry in the master backend for
> this test server and now whenever I request a media update scan it
> fails half way through with a pop-up about ‘failing to scan SG on
> server ...’ and the following message in the log:
>
> MythVideo::ScanVideoDirectory Scanning Group
> (myth://Videos@server/path/to/videos/)
>
> Backend : server : Is currently Unreachable. Skipping this one.
>
> MythVideo::ScanVideoDirectory failed to scan server
>
> Failed to scan :myth://Video@server/path/to/videos/:
>
> And then some stuff about updating records that shows up every time,
> for the same files reardgess.
>
> I do intend to use a frontend at some point in the future, but it will
> not be the one from the VMWare image I created.
>
> Does anyone have any advice about weeding it out from the database ( I
> am not SQL literate )
>
> As I currently don’t use the frontend, I’m also not making use of any
> of the metadata so don’t mind losing it if the easiest fix is to
> re-initialise the database from scratch following the installation guide.
>
> In case its relevant the system is Fedora 12 and the version of Myth
> installed currently is 0.24.1-274.fc12.x86_64

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/480841#480841

If you don't hgave any recordings, you don't need to do step 3. If you
don't still have the backend system you're trying to
retire/decommission, you can "fake" it by setting a LocalHostName
override (with the name of the to-be-retired backend) in your config.xml
or mysql.txt.

Mike