[mythtv-users] Mythtv won't power down after upgrade to, 0.24.1

Giles gbirchley at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 15:33:02 UTC 2011

    On 13 June 2011 09:20, Giles<gbirchley at blueyonder.co.uk>  wrote:

>     >  Hi everyone,
>     >
>     >  I'm running mythtv under Fedora 14 86x64
>     >  I'm having some problems with my machine not powering off after I select
>     >  exit and shutdown. These have only arisen since upgrading to 0.24.1 from
>     >  0.24. Shutdown command in the backend setup is:
>     >     sudo /sbin/halt -p
>     >  on executing shutdown via mythtv I get the usual dialogue finishing in:
>     >    Halting system...
>     >    [1234.23456] system halted
>     >  The motherboard clicks like it's been shutdown but doesn't power off.
>     >
>     >  Executing sudo /sbin/halt -p from the terminal works as expected.
>     >  Shutting down from the desktop also works okay. I haven't changed any
>     >  backend options since upgrading to 0.24.1, although I added the option
>     >  "exit 0" to the backend in an attempted fix (it was blank before).
>     >
>     >  Anyone got any idea what's going on..?
>     >
>     >  Giles Birchley
>     >  _______________________________________________
>     >  mythtv-users mailing list
>     >  mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>     >
    i use 'sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend'. (puts pc into S3 sleep)
    or maybe 'sudo shutdown -P now' for an alternative shutdown command.

    might be an option if you cant get the halt -p command working... sorry i
    cant be much more help, but they both work for me in 0.24.1 (mytbuntu 10.10)

    Hi Tim,

    Thanks for the suggestion: unfortunately changing the shutdown command to "sudo shutdown -P now" has no effect.

    The command seems to be executing okay inasmuch as I get a system halt, however for some reason the final stage of the power off isn't executing.
    I presume there haven't been any changes to the mythtv shutdown script in the latest upgrade?

    I've a mind to play around with /etc/sudoers to see if there's a fix there - doesn't seem likely as the system halts okay - but perhaps that's the next logical step.

    confused!

    Giles