[mythtv-users] OT-ish: decoding encrypted channels

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 12:35:09 UTC 2011

Do you have myth running currently with sky free channels?
How is this connected?

My understanding is that prettymuch all sky channels even the free channels
are encrypted and require a subscription card. Freesathd is however
unencrypted and if you look at the website kings of sat you will see which
channels require which decryption method. Mythtv can capture any freetoair
channels using a appropriate tuner. It can capture any encrypted channel
where an official cam is provided by the provider (nds videoguard is what
sky uses iirc and there is not an official cam available). In addition sky
transmits the programme schedule in a proprietary method so you would need
to use the radiotimes xml guide data until the work is completed to
incorporate support for the sky programme data... I saw info on this list a
while ago about work going on for it.

Alternatively if the sky box outputs on component out at the quality you
want you can use a video capture card (I can't remeber if it is called a
hdpvr or a hdhomerun).

Personally I use freeview and freesat and that is enough. There are more
channels found then freesat offers quite a few are freetoair. Sure id love
lemans and sky one... but I don't want it enough... eurosport used to be a
free channel in the old analogue days of sky...

Please excuse brevity and pistakes this email was composed on a mobile
phone.

Thanks and best regards,

Richard