[mythtv-users] OT-ish: decoding encrypted channels

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 11:54:12 UTC 2011

On 13 June 2011 12:22, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:
> firstly, all i *know* on this subject is that i need a decoder card. thats
> it :)
>
> what i'd like todo is be able to get the encrypted channels on FreeSAT (not
> many, but theirs a few), and also pay the provider for pay-per-view like
> eurosport for yearly sport events (eg: Le Mans 24h)
> i am on the belief that i am able todo this by buying a decoder card, a CAM
> interface module and then parting with cash with the provider to allow me to
> watch that program.

I believe you buy a CAM, you then need an apropriate CAM module for
your encrypted channels, I assume the supplier is the best placed to
provide this? You'd then need a valid subscription card for whatever
channels you wish to watch.

I assume this is possible over FreeSat, as my new FreesatHD enabled TV
does have a blinking big hole to bung a CAM module into. I've not
enquired further though.

> if it makes any different, I get 'freesat from sky', and am in the UK.

Hmm, this might make a difference? Do you use a sky box to receive it?
I believe Sky have their own encryption systems and don't sell the
apropraite CAM modules. I think there's long term plans for them to do
so, but as I understand it the resulting CAM won't work with linux due
to some DRM issues.

However if you're receiveing Freesat using a DVB-S card then that's
fine I would've thought.

Cheers,

Ian