[mythtv-users] Possible to recover recording group password?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 8 20:59:27 UTC 2011

On 06/08/2011 04:47 PM, mat wrote:
>> On 06/08/2011 07:18 AM, mat wrote:
>>> My wife recently ordered me to stop out watching the simpsons constantly
>>> (fair enough, I have hundreds of recordings!). So, I attempted to put a
>>> password on it. When I added it (from another computer), I then checked
>>> the living room machine and it did not work, so I assumed it had failed
>>> and forgot about it. Now, when I try to access recordings from the
>>> computer I set the password on, it asks for a PIN - of course I
>>> immediatly
>>> forgot what I had entered as I assummed nothing had happened.
>>>
>>> So, anyone got any ideas how I can remove this password?
>>>
>>> Thanks folks,
>> mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'SELECT * FROM recgrouppassword;'
>>
>> Don't tell the kids!
>>
>> Then, just use mythfrontend to change the password on the recording
>> group, again, typing in the old password and leaving the new password
>> empty.
> Thanks Mike but I have already tried that and it appears to be an empty
> table! I should've mentioned that to be honest. mysql returns 'Empty set
> (0.00sec)' when presented with select * from recgrouppassword.
>
> So, I guess short of changing my IP address and machine name(?) I am a tad
> screwed?
>
> Or is it a bug?

If that table is empty, you don't have any recording group passwords.

Also, you said this happens only for recordings made on a specific
backend?  Recording group passwords aren't host-specific--they apply to
all recordings in a specific recording group--so, that symptom makes no
sense.  I think something else is happening.

Is this really in Watch Recordings?  It's not MythVideo, is it?

Mike