[mythtv-users] 3D interlacer?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Jun 8 10:00:47 UTC 2011

On 8 Jun 2011, at 08:05, Mark Kendall wrote:

> On 8 June 2011 14:36, Andy Burns <mythtv.lists at burns.me.uk> wrote:
>> You can't keep a good rumour down, BBC will be transmitting Wimbledon in 3D
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9506439.stm
>>
>> Now I don't have a 3D TV, but mythTV currently de-interlaces from
>> 1080i/25 to 1080p/50 ... so I wonder is it possible to bodge up a
>> customised "3D deinterlacer" to separate out the left/right views and
>> drive an infrared blaster to control a pair of shutter glasses in
>> sync?
>
> It all really depends on how they're actually transmitting. I'm
> assuming 'side by side' but they don't seem to have gone into the
> technical details.

Side by side is the only stereo vision standard that has any hope of working with current 3DTVs and receivers, they would be mad to try anything else at this time. Look how much trouble there was (still is for many) just switching to a supposedly fully supported DVBS2 modulation! With side by side, lousy quality as it is it will instantly work with all those Sky 3D customers, both of them ;-)

> Assuming side by side, the quick and easy approach, for non 3D TV
> owners, is to hack up an anaglyph filter and break out an old pair of
> red/cyan glasses. I've been meaning to tinker with that for ages:) Not
> exactly state of the art though.

Red/Cyan anaglyph would make it accessible to those of us with 50Hz screens.

Andre