[mythtv-users] Need help - audio shows in ubuntu mixer, records with Sound Recorder, but does not work in mythtv

James virtue at rocketmonkeys.com
Tue Jul 26 16:33:00 UTC 2011

> A hardware encoder (like the 950q) needs access to both the audio and
> video in order to encode them into the recording.
> This may help?

I looked through that, but the options I have in 11.04 are different.
I created the /etc/asound.conf file and rebooted.  Then I went into
the Sound Preferences and chose the 950q, but I can't get that to
work.  I can set the 950q as a digital or analog source.  If I sent to
digital, I have to reboot in order for the "Input" tab in that dialog
to work.  Then I can choose the digital source, but get no sound.
Same goes for the analog portion.  The audio meter does not show,
arecord/aplay does not work.

I can, however, consistently get the motherboard's sound card to work
with arecord/aplay.  This is how I used to record audio with my old
WinTV GO PCI tv tuner card.  I used the composite in for video, and
the motherboard line-in for audio.  It's just strange how I can seem
to get mythtv to play nicely with that.

I did see one thing in the mythbackend log...

    SampleRate: Attempted to add a rate 32000 Hz, which is not in the
list of allowed rates.

Could that be causing problems?  I'm not sure where the 32000 Hz comes
from - mythtv or the sound card.  I tried setting the Tuner Card's
frequency to 41k in mythtv-setup, but that didn't seem to help.

> Most people around here will tell you these kinds of problems are why
> you don't even bother with framegrabbers in the first place.  Pick up an
> old PVR-150 or -500.  Or pick up a new HVR-2250.  Or if you require USB,
> get a PVR-USB2 or HVR-1950.  Get a proper hardware mpeg encoder, and
> avoid these issues all together.

True, I would have preferred a hardware encoder.  Except that I used a
framegrabber fine before, and I was hoping to duplicate the setup.
Also, I have a cablecard digital tuner (the hauppauge, ironically) on
order, so I'd love to get this working so I can watch TV until that
shows.  And yes, it's supposed to start shipping in a couple days.
I'll believe that when it arrives at my door.

So - any ideas how to get mythtv to record from the sound card
line-in?  I can do "arecord" with no other params and it works fine.
What do I have to change with mythtv?