[mythtv-users] Dishnetwork Dual receivers

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Jul 18 13:56:52 UTC 2011

On 7/17/11 7:55 PM, Dan Wilson wrote:
> I have been using mythtv for several years now in So. California on
> Time-Warner cable, and it has worked great for me! Thanks to all of the
> devs!
>
> Due to changing family situations, I have closed my southern California
> apartment and now live full-time in our home in a rural area where we
> get TV via Dish Network. We currently have a single analog receiver
> connected directly to a TV. We intend to replace that TV with an HD TV
> within the next couple of months.
>
> I would like to get an HD dual receiver. The first channel on the
> receiver is HD and uses an IR remote control, but the second channel
> uses an RF remote. I will also likely get a second dual receiver to
> replace the existing single receiver, either HD or analog. Dish charges
> per receiver unit, not per receivers in a unit, so I can have 4 separate
> recording channels for the price of a single extra receiver on my
> monthly bill.

You should also know that the second receiver on a dual-receiver unit is
SD, not HD. I just verified this on the Technology page of their site.

Personally, I just had them give me two separate receivers, and I pay
the extra $6/month (or whatever it is this week.) I don't yet have HD
capture hardware, though. I'm waiting for some kind soul to do the v4l
driver for the Colossus, rather than shell out a whole bunch of money
for the oh-so-buggy HDPVR.