[mythtv-users] Dishnetwork Dual receivers

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jul 18 01:47:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:55:36 -0700, Dan Wilson
<dwilson at solidstatesoftware.com> wrote:
> I have a Hauppauge dual-receiver analog card (PVR-500) in my backend. I
> thought that I could get a signal combiner that would take the feed from

> two separate analog receivers and combine them into a single cable
> connected to the analog card as long as I make sure each satellite
> receiver is using a different analog channel to the TV. That should give

> me two analog inputs.

So you want to take the two video outputs, run them through (expensive)
modulators to have two channels on a single coax, split that coax between
the two inputs, demodulate the signal, and pass that through the encoder
chip? Why not just run s-video directly into the baseband inputs of that
card? Seems like you're making things needlessly complex and expensive.

> For the HD input(s), I'm not sure what my best options are: get a PCI
> card, use a USB unit, or go with the network approach. Any favorites?

For HD capture, the only option supported is the Hauppauge HDPVR.

> I've seen a couple of RF transmitters online, but have no experience as
> to which ones will work well with the Dish receivers.

Chances are there is no consumer RF transmitter you can purchase that
would
be able to communicate with the box. Your most likely bet is to tear open
one of the remotes, and wire up an interface to simulate button presses
through a serial port. You might want to ask on AVSForum. Some brief
searching
turns up several threads on the topic, but I haven't found one with an
actual solution.