[mythtv-users] I got my Ceton InfiniTV 4 working in 0.24-fixes (compiled with custom code)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 22:30:50 UTC 2011

> When I had Fios installed, the tech who came to my house said that the
> cable quality was critical for Fios.  He said I shouldn't use RG59 for
> anything, and that it all needed to be RG6.  (If you can easily bend
> the exposed central conductor with your thumb, throw it away.)  He
> replaced a bunch of my cables and splitters and even replaced the
> little double sided jack in the wall plate where the cable comes into
> the house interior.  All of that stuff had been working fine with
> Comcast, but after the switch to Fios it wasn't good enough anymore.
> I thought he was crazy, but it didn't work before that and did work
> after, so, I guess he was right.

Good quality "RG59" (say, Belden 1505A) is better than much of
what is sold as "RG6" cable for any distance that one is likely
to use in the home, but, of course, is no where near as good as
Belden 1694A (btw, both 1505A and 1694A use a bare copper
center conductor (rather than the usual copper cladding over steel),
and as such, the center conductor *is* easily bendable by thumb).
That all said, "average" RG6 will be better than "average" RG59,
and regardless, most cheap cables, connectors, and splitters
are not of the best quality.  All it takes is one poor cable to
really ruin the experience, and it is cheaper for the installer
to just replace everything rather than sweep test each and
every cable (time is money for them).

For much more interesting discussions of cables, go over
to the avsforum pages.

Gary