[mythtv-users] Just upgraded to 0.25 with mixed results.

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sun Jul 10 21:56:29 UTC 2011

My upgrade to 11.04 broke video playback (dropped frames and video tearing). OpenGL did not work at all in 10.10, and was only
displaying in the upper left corner of the display under .24 and 11.04, so I decided to upgrade to 0.25.

I recently switched back to the SPDIF connection to my receiver (DENON AVR-3801) because with the analog connection, I had no
volume control, and could not use earphones. I found with 11.04 with SPDIF, I had no audio about 25% of the time and had to
reboot to get it working (it would work on th login screen, but not when logged in).

My video card is an ATI 4850HD running the default open source drivers (ATI drivers screwed up the test install I tried them on)
driving a 2560x1600 LCD, processor is an I7 with 6 GB RAM.

My results with 0.25 are mixed.

OpenGL now works as well as xv-blit used to on 0.24, no dropped frames, but tearing. xv-blit learned a new trick in 0.25,
randomly changing the color at commercial boundaries (sometimes the color is correct, sometimes faces are green) Amusing for
about 30 seconds, but quickly tiresome. It still has tearing.

The audio mode I had in 0.24 does not work in 0.25, I get silence. I had to turn of Dolby Digital and DTS before I got any sound
at all. The test screen would play sound even when  Dolby Digital and DTS were enabled, but I got silence when I tried "Watch
TV". With Dolby Digital and DTS off, I get stereo sound.