[mythtv-users] Why do those mpeg files not play? (capture with a ceton infiniTV 4)

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sat Jul 2 21:15:56 UTC 2011

For anyone that know a bit about mpeg files, can you please take a
look at the sample files I'm linking below and tell me why they seem
to not work for me in certain media players?

http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~ldkronos/ceton/ch4.mpg   (4 MB)
http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~ldkronos/ceton/ch29.mpg   (3.5 MB)
http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~ldkronos/ceton/ch280.mpg   (19 MB)

Mythtv (0.22, 0.24, and trunk) can play ch4.mpg, but fails to play the
other two. Linux mplayer works with all 3 files. VLC in windows can
play ch280.mpg, but not the other two. Windows Media Play 12 can play
ch4.mpg and ch280.mpg, but not ch29.mpg.

These files were captured by my Ceton InfiniTV 4 card with a cablecard
installed. Basically, I tuned the channel in the card's control panel
and did:

cat /dev/ceton/ctn91xx_mpeg0_0 > file.mpg

which basically just dumps the mpeg data stream supplied by the card
straight into a file.

--
Ron Frazier