[mythtv-users] Segfault when try to run mythfrontend a second time

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 31 03:48:35 UTC 2011

  On 01/30/2011 05:39 PM, John Veness wrote:
> On 27/01/11 18:44, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 01/27/2011 05:54 AM, John Veness wrote:
>>> Now, the second time I try to run mythfrontend, it will segmentation
>>> fault after it produces a few lines of text in the terminal and before
>>> it brings up any window. It does this whether the first mythfrontend
>>> is actually playing a program, or just sitting in the menu.
>>
>> You need to set up your ServicePort in your config.xml files so that the
>> 2 frontends each have their own.
>
> Thanks Mike. Seeing as both mythfrontends are being run by the same
> logged-in user, how can I have two separate Service Ports or
> config.xml files?

Set a different HOME in one of the environments, then have a
$HOME/.mythtv with a different config.xml.

So:

mkdir -p /home/mythtv/.mythtv-vnc/.mythtv

then put the config.xml in place, then

export HOME=/home/mythtv/.mythtv-vnc
mythfrontend

or use MYTHCONFDIR.

> Also out of interest, do you know what commit changed the observed
> behaviour in 0.24-fixes a few days ago? I've been able to run two
> mythfrontends simultaneously on the same machine and same logged-in
> users for the last couple of years without this issue.

No, sorry.  If I did know, it wouldn't be segfaulting, but would exit
with a useful error message telling you how to fix the problem.  :)

Mike