[mythtv-users] FW: Help understand the interface of Myth Media & Video Gallery

Anthony Rooney rooneyo at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 30 08:30:03 UTC 2011

Hi Rob

Your correct the program reported the path as invalid as I reported in my
original post.  The problem from a user perspective is the path was
perfectly valid and the program should have reported "unable to read from
location" - "No Permission".

This is what I originally reported:

"I got the error that it was not a valid location even though I can see it
in
 my file system exactly as I entered it case sensitive and all."

Not a valid location does not immediately ID the problem as a permissions
issue.

No location would be a valid location if there is a prerequisite to 1st give
Myth access to the directory and files within it.  I did not read anywhere
that you need to setup permissions 1st although it makes perfect sense to
have to do so.

If the error message accurately reported "unable to read from location" -
"No Permission",  I would have immediately rectified and never have posted
the question.

The improvement to the system is to provide better worded error message that
correctly point to the problem supported by instructions that include the
permission setting requirements.

I understand that the project  is supported by volunteers and it is tested
by end users and the feedback they provide.  Most of us use the program not
because it is free as my time is also Money so I don't seek anything for
free, just want an alternative to exist to commercial software.

Many Thanks

Anthony