[mythtv-users] 5.1 wrong speaker problem

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 16:01:03 UTC 2011

Hi

On 26 January 2011 16:43, Ken Bass <kbass at kenbass.com> wrote:
> Can you explain what that checkbox does. I did not check it because it says
> to use it only if your amp only supports 2 channels PCM (typically an old
> HDMI 1.0 device). Multi-channels audio will be re-encoded to AC3 when
> required.

It tells myth to not output multichannels PCM.
e.g. all multichannels audio will be re-encoded as AC3 when required
(passthrough still works obviously)

> So does this mean software is having to re-encode to AC3 when this advanced
> option is checked? On a slower zotac atom FE is this going to be a problem?

it will re-encode to AC3 only if it had to decode it in the first place.

> Looking at the logs, I see:
>
> Jan 26 10:16:20 frontend pulseaudio[1766]: module-alsa-card.c: Failed to
> find a working profile.
> Jan 26 10:16:20 frontend pulseaudio[1766]: module.c: Failed to load  module
> "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id="0" name="pci-0000_00_08.0"
> card_name="alsa_card.pci-0000_00_08.0" tsched=yes ignore_dB=no
> card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization failed.

that's not a mythtv log ; that's pulseaudio

> Having that statement in there is somehow messing up boot-time init of the
> sound card.

you just need to change the configuration of pulseaudio ..