[mythtv-users] Problems switching from passthru <--> pcm stream

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu Jan 20 12:09:07 UTC 2011

Sander Knopper wrote:

Hi all,

Let me say that I've had a lot of problems when it comes to sound on the
system involved. Most of the problems simply resolved themselves while
updating the kernel and/or mythtv, but this one keeps sticking around.

I have an Asus P7H55M-PRO motherboard with Realtek ALC892 chipset, which is
connected with an optical cable to my tuner, which is from Philips.

The following scenario occurs a lot at our home.

1) People are listening to music and the decide to watch a movie.
2) People are watching a movie and when it's finished they decide to listen to
some music.

Both scenarios are quite typical for an HTPC I might say.

The thing is, when switching from movie to music or vice versa, most of the
time a short "cracking sound" can be heard. This happens mostly when going
from pcm stream audio (music) to bitstream audio (movie).

The cracking sound is annoying, but what's even worse is that after that
there's usually no sound at all anymore. Turning the tuner off and on always
helps.

So today I've opened a terminal to check output from iecset during these
transitions. All I can say is that mythtv is doing a good job, data is going
from "audio" to "non-audio" and back as one would expect.

Can someone tell me if this problem is very likely to be solved with a new
amplifier or is it still likely to be a problem with myth or alsa?

Any new insights are highly appreciated! Of course I'd be more than happy to
supply logs or other info if needed.

Regards,

Sander Knopper

Hi.

I have not had this type of problem, but I do have a Sony surround receiver that initially would not switch between pcm stream audio and bitstream audio on the optical input I used (called MD).
But connecting the MythTV box to the optical input called DVD made the receiver switch.
Further digging into the user manual I found a setting that allowed it to switch on the MD input aswell. From the name of this setting it was not obvious that it would solve the problem.

Perhaps check your manual to see if there is a setting in your receiver that does the same?

Jens