[mythtv-users] Simultaneous analogue (analog) and S/PDIF output

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 07:38:28 UTC 2011

Hi

On Monday, 10 January 2011, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk> wrote:

> to disable passthru allowed mythfrontend to simultaneously output stereo
> audio to analogue and S/PDIF when combined with the .asoundrc from
> <http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5794935&postcount=4>.
>
> That is a bit of a shame, but I have a DVD player and a couple of consoles
> for DVDs, so I can live with not getting DD5.1/DTS from DVDs played on my
> MythTV box. I could swear I had it *all* working with 0.21-fixes on Fedora 8,
> though... Is there any possibility that mythfrontend could be improved to do
> passthru selectively (or manually through the OSD menu, at least)?

If it's just stereo you want to simultaneously to analog and spdif,
then make sure the 5.1 audio up mixer is NOT enabled.

If you have it check, myth will never output stereo but 5.1 (and it
may need to reencode to aC3 for that)

If you are ok with only having stereo output to both analog and
digital, and 5.1 to digital only then you can re-enable ac3 and DTS
passthrough, and make sure you mute your analog tv or amp when playing
5.1 audio, cause its going to sound awful.