[mythtv-users] Simultaneous analogue (analog) and S/PDIF output

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 22:14:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> On 11 January 2011 03:00, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> doesn't work for me; I either get S/PDIF or analogue, depending on whether I
>> comment the last slave.pcm "hw:0,0" or not.
>>
>> Anyone got any tips on how to get this working?
>
> If you search this distribution list over the past two weeks, it has
> been discussed numerous times already..

Oh, believe me, I have... And it took me a couple of days last time I had it
working. :-)

>> AudioOutputDevice = ALSA:default
>> PassThruOutputDevice = ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x02 }
>> AC3PassThru = Enabled
>> DTSPassThru = Enabled
>
> if you want to have audio working over multiple outputs, you can not
> have passthru enabled otherwise you will get static/garbage on the non
> digital interface

Aha, well, that explains the horrible digital noise I was getting on the
analogue outputs. And, sure enough, doing:

USE mythconverg;
UPDATE settings SET data=0 WHERE value='AC3PassThru';
UPDATE settings SET data=0 WHERE value='DTSPassThru';
UPDATE settings SET data='Default' WHERE value='PassThruOutputDevice';

to disable passthru allowed mythfrontend to simultaneously output stereo
audio to analogue and S/PDIF when combined with the .asoundrc from
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5794935&postcount=4>.

That is a bit of a shame, but I have a DVD player and a couple of consoles
for DVDs, so I can live with not getting DD5.1/DTS from DVDs played on my
MythTV box. I could swear I had it *all* working with 0.21-fixes on Fedora 8,
though... Is there any possibility that mythfrontend could be improved to do
passthru selectively (or manually through the OSD menu, at least)?

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction.

Best Regards,
Alex