[mythtv-users] m2ts files and the internal player

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Feb 21 23:41:32 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Christopher Kerr" <mythtv at theseekerr.com>

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:01 AM, <1.41421 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> My inclination would be to do 30p but, are
> >> there any advantages to doing 24p instead?
> >
> > The resulting video file will be smaller. (Or you can shoot a longer
> > video in the same storage space, depending on how you look at it.)
>
> Of course, the reason it's actually there is to replicate the 24fps
> projection of cinema film, ie. you end up with a bit more motion blur
> which makes things look "cinematic".

Quite a bit more judder; the respective comparison is not 24/30, but 24/60;
remember, interlaced formats effectively trade vertical resolution for
frame timing.

> Apparently some audiences perceive video shot at =>30fps as being
> "hyper-realistic" and find the "effect" (ie. the lack of artefacts)
> distracting.

Anyone who can consciously see the difference knows, and understands
what the language is intended to mean: see last week's episode of Chuck,
which did this right, integrating the "camcorder" footage of the new
baby into the final timeline *at i60*, unconverted.  It sticks out a
mile, as the similar clips used to do in Breaking News and TV101, the
only other TV shows I've seen get this right.

Cheers,
-- jra