[mythtv-users] Any Debian / Mythtv / Nvidia users here?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Feb 21 15:53:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:23 AM, stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:
> Funny you should say that about debian unstable.  I've been thinking for
> the past several years that debian unstable is more stable than released
> fedora. (My thoughts regarding the universe...<poof!>)

No comment.

> Anyhow, if you could help, I am possibly google-ing the wrong way here.
>  The result, I don't see how I can pull bits of nvidia from debian
> experimental.  That is, I see no clear cut way of doing this.  My
> biggest fear is that I turn my mythtv boxes from debain unstable to
> debian experimental with out any hope of returning to debian unstable.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental

It's not possible to turn a Debian box into an experimental Debian
distribution box because such a thing doesn't exist.  Experimental
isn't a complete distribution.  It has a handful of selected packages
that must be installed on top of a complete distribution (usually
unstable).

The /etc/apt/sources.list line quoted in the wiki above isn't meant to
replace your line for the unstable distribution, but is a second line
which should be placed after the unstable link.

No packages will be installed from experimental unless you use pinning
or command line arguments as shown in the wiki.

Eric