[mythtv-users] Fedora 14 & Hauppauge (Grey) & lirc devinput with Nova-T

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Feb 17 19:55:17 UTC 2011

On Feb 17, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Harry Lists wrote:

> <snip>
>

>>> Jarod,
>>>
>>> Sorry for jumping the thread.  I've been following several of your
>>> recent discussions about using devinput for IR devices.  I've
>>> successfully loaded ir-
>>> kbd-i2c and gotten my grey Hauppauge remote to work (somewhat)
>>> generating character input.  The thing I haven't been able to figure
>>> out is if I can use the Hauppauge PVR-250 IR receiver with a
>>> universal remote.  I am running F14 with 2.6.35.10-74 kernel and I've
>>> compiled ir-keytable from source.  I think that's what I need to get
>>> the remote to work but I couldn't find any info on actually doing it
>>> (other than one of your posts that said that it was the right tool to
>>> use).  Any tips or reference you can provide would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>
>> Most i2c-based receivers are pretty limited in what they support. As
>> far
>> as I know, the PVR-250's IR part only supports RC-5 signals. If you
>> program a universal remote with appropriate RC-5 signals, it *can* be
>> used. In fact, there was a time when I did exactly that myself...
>>
>> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php
>>

> That link makes me feel nostalgic (check out the last reference in
> Resources).

Heh, right, I *thought* you knew all about that already... I didn't
read carefully enough. :)

> I had my remote working with lirc_i2c just fine, so the
> RC-5 codes I'm sending are compatible with the hardware (they are
> actually the ones in the sample lircd.conf on your site).  My issue is
> that none of the IR codes seems to be recognized with ir-kbd-2c (which
> is using RC-5 codes per ir-keytable).  The grey remote is recognized and
> sends events, so it seems to just be a configuration issue.  I've tried
> setting up LIRC with lircd.conf.devinput as the config file, starting
> the lirc daemon and then running irw, but no remote keypresses are
> recognized.  Is there a way to take LIRC out of the picture and get
> ir-kbd-2c to generate events for the keys on my universal remote?
>
> P. S.  I just took a look at ir-kbd-i2c.c and it looks like remotes
> other than the Hauppauge black/silver/grey remotes are ignored.  If this
> is true then I guess it cannot possibly work with a non-Hauppauge remote
> unless I compile a modified version.

Yeah, I suspect that's probably the issue here. ir-kbd-i2c would need
to allow non-Hauppauge signals through (we could add a knob to the
driver to allow that), and you'd need a custom keymap to map those
signals to input codes.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com