[mythtv-users] Fedora 14 & Hauppauge (Grey) & lirc devinput with Nova-T

Harry Lists holists at optonline.net
Thu Feb 17 19:31:06 UTC 2011

<snip>

>> Jarod,
>>
>> Sorry for jumping the thread.  I've been following several of your
>> recent discussions about using devinput for IR devices.  I've
>> successfully loaded ir-
>> kbd-i2c and gotten my grey Hauppauge remote to work (somewhat)
>> generating character input.  The thing I haven't been able to figure
>> out is if I can use the Hauppauge PVR-250 IR receiver with a
>> universal remote.  I am running F14 with 2.6.35.10-74 kernel and I've
>> compiled ir-keytable from source.  I think that's what I need to get
>> the remote to work but I couldn't find any info on actually doing it
>> (other than one of your posts that said that it was the right tool to
>> use).  Any tips or reference you can provide would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>
> Most i2c-based receivers are pretty limited in what they support. As
> far
> as I know, the PVR-250's IR part only supports RC-5 signals. If you
> program a universal remote with appropriate RC-5 signals, it *can* be
> used. In fact, there was a time when I did exactly that myself...
>
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php
>

> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

That link makes me feel nostalgic (check out the last reference in
Resources).  I had my remote working with lirc_i2c just fine, so the
RC-5 codes I'm sending are compatible with the hardware (they are
actually the ones in the sample lircd.conf on your site).  My issue is
that none of the IR codes seems to be recognized with ir-kbd-2c (which
is using RC-5 codes per ir-keytable).  The grey remote is recognized and
sends events, so it seems to just be a configuration issue.  I've tried
setting up LIRC with lircd.conf.devinput as the config file, starting
the lirc daemon and then running irw, but no remote keypresses are
recognized.  Is there a way to take LIRC out of the picture and get
ir-kbd-2c to generate events for the keys on my universal remote?

P. S.  I just took a look at ir-kbd-i2c.c and it looks like remotes
other than the Hauppauge black/silver/grey remotes are ignored.  If this
is true then I guess it cannot possibly work with a non-Hauppauge remote
unless I compile a modified version.

-- Harry O.