[mythtv-users] Myth problem or HDPVR probmem?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon Feb 14 20:35:24 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 12:12 -0800, Robert McNamara wrote:

> There is more than circumstantial evidence that V4L/DVB has some
> pretty substantial issues in current Ubuntu and derivatives.  Mike is
> unlikely to have the issue as he rolls his own distro.  While I'm sure
> there are exceptions, many MANY of the people reporting this issue
> tend to be using *buntu.

Fedora 14 here, and the problem has gotten much worse since I upgraded
from Fedora 13 to 14. I don't use DVB cards, I just have two HD-PVR
boxes. I suspect a device driver issue but I do not know how to prove it
or what to do about it. I would have thought it was my "quirky USB chip"
(supposedly the reason why the IR blaster on my mceusb device will not
work) except that so many others are reporting the same issue with their
HD-PVRs. I only know that my Myth system is so unreliable now that I
have stopped using it for anything I really care about and gone back to
the crappy Comcast DVR. It is really a bummer.

> The recorder code in MythTV has not changed in *any* substantial
> fashion since well before .22.  The *only* difference of note in
> recorder code between .23 and .24 is an update to the HDHR libs, which
> only affects those devices.

And ironically, I am only having issues with the HD-PVR's. The HDHR is
working fine, but unfortunately I can only get a tiny portion of what my
wife and I like to watch that way. Comcast here is encrypting pretty
much everything except the OTA channels. Even the local PEG channels are
now encrypted.

--Greg