[mythtv-users] Myth problem or HDPVR probmem?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 20:12:15 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Dan Armbrust <
daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Let me just say that comparing apples (MythTV 0.23 on distro X, version
> > Y, with kernel Z and V4L/DVB subsystem A and drivers B) and oranges
> > (MythTV 0.24 on distro X, version Y', with kernel Z' and V4L/DVB
> > subsystem A' and drivers B') does not imply that MythTV 0.24 is to
> > blame.  If you change anything in addition to changing MythTV, ...
>

> Well, not to wish bad things to Mike... but I hope that you do start
> having this problem.  Maybe then we can get some help on fixing it.
>
> :)
>
> I don't know where the problem lies, DVB driver changes, or mythTV
> changes.  But the fact is that mythTV is very unreliable in the
> current Mythbuntu packaging.  And my configuration worked just fine
> until my last update.  I have seen the problem on both of my cards, so
> I doubt it is a hardware failure of a card.  Could be pci bus, I
> suppose, but I highly doubt that this many people are encountering
> hardware failures at the same time.

There is more than circumstantial evidence that V4L/DVB has some pretty
substantial issues in current Ubuntu and derivatives.  Mike is unlikely to
have the issue as he rolls his own distro.  While I'm sure there are
exceptions, many MANY of the people reporting this issue tend to be using
*buntu.

The recorder code in MythTV has not changed in *any* substantial fashion
since well before .22.  The *only* difference of note in recorder code
between .23 and .24 is an update to the HDHR libs, which only affects those
devices.

Robert