[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Reynolds, Brian Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com
Mon Feb 14 15:39:20 UTC 2011

Thanks for the advice, Andrew.  I wouldn't take that as a dig in any way.  As I've said a few times, I like to learn new stuff and I have no problem asking "stupid questions".

At first, I'd like to get Myth up and running so I can see how it looks in action.  After I learn more about Myth, then I would like to learn more about Linux.  I believe it will be a beneficial thing for my future career opportunities.  In my job, our product is very specialized... and I've been doing the same job, using the same software for over 18 years.  My employer is a very large, international company.  It was previously a holding company... they would buy smaller companies and let them run independently, as long as they sent some profit back to the parent company.  Now, they've decided to become a single entity and they are in the process of "consolidating".  I'm sure you can read between the lines.

I can make Windows and MPE do just about anything you can dream up.  MPE was discontinued by Hewlett Packard back in 2003.  Since then, we have been migrating our software to HP/UX.  We'll be totally off of MPE by mid 2012.  I've only been involved in the UNIX stuff for the past year or so... and I'm limited in what I can do on UNIX.  I don't have admin privileges, so I don't have the opportunity to learn as much as I'd like.  Linux is similar enough to UNIX that I think it will be beneficial for me to learn.  Plus, I can get it for free, load it on hardware I already own, and play with it on my own time.

Brian