[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Feb 14 01:14:51 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Reynolds, Brian
<Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com> wrote:
> Recording/streaming HD content from 6-8 tuners to 5 front-end
> machines is a very I/O intensive thing.

You might think so, but in practice it's not so bad.  Disks are a lot
faster than they used to be.

> The hardware I listed in my
> Wish List on NewEgg is what I /think/ I will need to do the job in
> Windows... with a comfortable cushion.
> Here's the link:
>
> http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15148745

If I had to work within that budget, I'd go for more storage.  Cut the
ram in half, go to a dual core processor, and go with 2TB drives
instead of 1TB drives.

I also like to use small SSD's for the OS and database.

Eric