[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 14 02:42:44 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 08:28:22PM -0600, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
> [...]

    It's intended as "MythTV in a box". I never liked it but then again I
am very old school. To me MythBuntu is Ubuntu with a few more packages.

> I found the mythbuntu.org website.  I'll check it out.
>
> My biggest unknown is whether or not my only tuner card will be
> supported by Myth.  It is an ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder model number

    ATI tuner? Probably not.

    If you can get a good broadcast signal, you really should consider
an HDHR. They are an excellent devices, widely supported and readily
available.

> 100-714116.  You can see it here:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102345
>
> My machine has firewire ports in it.  Can I connect it to a Scientific
> Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR?  I haven't pulled the DVR out of my
> entertainment center to see if it has 1394 ports on the back, but I've
> read that at least some of them do.  Can I use this as a tuner for my
> computer with Myth?

    Depends on your individual cable company. It's the same as the question
of whether or not the Ceton is usuable under Myth. Your cable company has to
allow it by how they have things set up.

[deletia]