[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Ajay Sharma ajayrockrock at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 23:29:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Reynolds, Brian
> <Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com> wrote:
>> I'd love to hear any experiences with WinMCE (positive or
>> negative) from you guys.
>
> This is probably the wrong list for that.
>
> Most of us are pretty anti-Windows, so the fact that MCE is built on
> top of Windows is already enough to turn most of us away.

I got a chance to play with it.  The interface is nice and smooth,
I'll be honest, myth "feels" a little more clunky.  It's mainly the
little animated transitions between windows and the fade-out/fade-in
animations when you select certain things.

Honestly though, I didn't spend too much time using it as this was on
a laptop hooked up to a TV so there wasn't a lot of "local" media.  It
was already populated with some streaming services so I was able to
watch an episode of The Guild and that worked out okay.  I did find
the menus a little confusing at times (but Myth's are no walk in the
park either).

It was nice and all, but there's no chance in hell I'd switch.  Myth
is just too awesome and linux is just so flexible that you can do a
whole lot more with it then windows (or at least, *I* can do a lot
more with it then windows).

--Ajay