[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Feb 9 18:12:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Reynolds, Brian
<Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com> wrote:
> Please let me know if you know of a cheaper way to build a HTPC that will
> accomplish my goals.  Also, let me know if I’m way off here and MythTV adds
> some functionality that I can’t do without.

MythTV doesn't compete on price or on ease of use.  It's all about
control, and customizability.  The MythTV software works on behest of
the owner and no one else.  That's why there are features like
commercial skip, and easy access to recorded video in ways that allow
export to other devices.  That's why the DVD playing software does not
honor the do-not-skip-this-advertisement crap on many DVDs.

MythTV is also not just a DVR.  Plugins like MythMusic and MythGallery
are invaluable additions to the MythTV family.

If you're looking for a basic DVR with the feature set decided by your
content provider, you should go with that.  If you want to be in
complete control of your system, that's what MythTV is for.

Eric