[mythtv-users] lirc_zilog - HDPVR

James MacKenzie mst3000 at newsguy.com
Wed Feb 2 05:36:03 UTC 2011

Jarod Wison wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2011, at 5:14 PM, James MacKenzie wrote:
>
> > > Is anyone using the 'built in' lirc_i2c in 2.6.37?  If so, how...
> > >
>> > I have also tried to use ir_kbd_i2c, because I read somewhere that
>lirc_i2c is
> > > being phased out.

> Yes, lirc_i2c has been removed from the kernel as of 2.6.38-rc2, as it is
> entirely redundant with ir-kbd-i2c.

Here is the problem with that.  ir-kbd-i2c doesn't work for me...at all.

I get rid of lirc_i2c and lirc_dev, then I load ir-kbd-i2c.

I try both 'modprobe ir-kbd-i2c hauppauge=1 debug=1' and 'modprobe ir-kbd-i2c
debug=1'

These return:

input: i2c IR (Hauppauge) as /devices/virtual/input/input14
ir-kbd-i2c: i2c IR (Hauppauge) detected at i2c-1/1-0018/ir0 [ivtv i2c driver
#0]

So...it's there...it's found something.

When I then start lircd (0.9.0-pre1), I get:

lircd: lircd(i2cuser) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd
lircd: accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
lircd: Cannot find i2c adapter
lircd: i2c device cannot be opened
lircd: WARNING: Failed to initialize hardware
lircd: select() failed
lircd: Bad file descriptor
lircd: removed client
lircd: accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
lircd: Cannot find i2c adapter
lircd: i2c device cannot be opened
lircd: WARNING: Failed to initialize hardware
lircd: reading in mode LIRC_MODE_LIRCCODE failed
lircd: caught signal
Terminated

When I do some google searches...what I find every time is along the lines of:

Yup...tried ir-kbd-i2c.  I couldn't get it to work.  I found that by using
lirc_i2c it worked wonderfully.

So...help?  I don't want lirc_i2c to go away and not be able to use my remote
any longer.  PS:  This is a Hauppauge PVR250 remote, the grey/black one.

I figure if I can get THIS working, I can probably get the other lirc_zilog to
work as well...but I need to get past this stumbling block.

Thanks!

----