[mythtv-users] Hardware setup

Ryan Davis rrdavis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 20:10:40 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am revisiting my hardware setup for a frontend/backend combo.

Things I am looking to do with this server:

I am looking at recording mostly HD content from OTA and some SD channels
from our cable box.
I would like this box to consume as little power as possible.
I would like to commflag as well both HD and SD streams.
I would use this setup to store my music lib (squeezebox) and my photo lib
Browse the internet and play online content (youtube, hulu and etc..)
Play Bluray files

I have come up with the following gear:

ZOTAC IONITX-A-U Atom 330 1.6GHz Dual-Core 441 NVIDIA ION Mini ITX
Motherboard/CPU Combo
nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center
/ HTPC Case
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N6K2/2G
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
OCZ Onyx OCZSSD2-1ONX32G 2.5" 32GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive
(SSD)
SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive
Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

I already have an HDhomerun on hand to capture the OTA content.

Is the dual atom processor going to be too slow to do the above stuff?  I
see some great results with VDPAU and the atom processors and the onboard
Nvidia 9400 chip.  Is the commflagging going to be possible?  Any users out
there with a similar setup? Opinions?

Thanks in advance for your input.  Much appreciated.

Ryan