[mythtv-users] Do I need a front end at all?

Matthew Daubenspeck matt at oddprocess.org
Mon Dec 19 19:42:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:21:12PM -0700, Tyler T wrote:
> You'll still need a way to schedule recordings (which you could do
> with MythWeb) and a way to delete watched recordings (you could just
> rely on Autoexpire).
>
> I don't know how the Samsung presents your list of recordings. If it's
> hard to navigate, you may look into Mythlink.pl.
>
> If it were me, I might still create a Linux VM + Myth FE to run
> as-needed on my desktop PC, just in case I needed to do something
> MythWeb couldn't do or was inconvenient to do.
>
> Personally, I couldn't live without a MythFE though, because of
> timestretch. Watching shows as 1.25X speed is too awesome to give up.

I personally do this with an LG Network Bluray player. It scans the
network for uPNP servers and finds Myth perfectly. No need for
Mythlink.pl, the uPNP server in Myth takes care of all of that.

All scheduling and program deletions are done via MythWeb and/or
MythDroid.

I haven't had a frontend in years. So far the only thing I miss is
commercial detection, but it's no big deal to FF over commercials (for
me).

--
  Matthew Daubenspeck
  http://oddprocess.org

Gentoo Linux i686 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz
14:39:33 up 165 days, 2:54, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.08, 0.12