[mythtv-users] Cross-compiled win32 binaries failing to run

Markus Mattinen thechoris at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 19:19:26 UTC 2011

Hello mythtv-users,

I've been trying to cross-compile Mythtv master branch (mainly interested
in the frontend) for Windows.
Compiling works fine, but the resulting .exe just doesn't seem to do
anything (it exits immediately without any error messages).
Cross-compiling was done in mingw32 on my laptop with 64bit Arch Linux and
Core i5 450M cpu.
I tried running the .exe in both Wine on the laptop and Windows 7 on my
desktop (64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, Core i3 2100 cpu).

For compiling, I was following the instructions on this site:
http://www.softsystem.co.uk/mythtv/index.htm
using the build script in
http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythbuild-CURRENT.zip.
I also tried the other guide that involves installing Mingw32&MSys on
Windows, but that one resulted in a bunch of "out of memory" errors in make
and ld.exe (I have 8GB of RAM on the Windows desktop, so must be that
2GB/process limitation in 32 bit Windows processes).
I did eventually manage to compile a release version, but running the
resulting mythfrontend.exe resulted in the error "The application was
unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application."
Apparently something to do with failing to load DLLs?
I never managed to compile a debug version on Windows because of the ld.exe
out of memory problems.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome.
If some more information or log/debug output is needed, I can try to get it.

Thanks,
Markus Mattinen
thechoris at gmail.com