[mythtv-users] Myth front end freeze. EEBox PC, ION2 VDPAU.

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Dec 14 21:02:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 2:11 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> To start the video playing, I am only using the keyboard.
>
> I start mythfront end, press Enter on TV, press Enter on Watch TV and it runs.
>
> My next step is to press ESC.
>
> New development:  It actually read the ESC key because the vid stopped
> playing and the screen went black.   The front end computer is now
> locked.
>
> This is the first time its done that.
>
> I can then kill it with the remote session.  The desktop returns and I
> can run the front end computer normally.
>
> I guess its having some issue with exiting the playing of a feed.
>
> Its not a focus or input issue.

While my 2 frontend systems have no problem at all, I've got a monitor
hooked up to my backend that I use occasionally for testing. I've
noticed a similar problem with it, where often when I exit playback,
it appears to lockup. But my screen doesn't go blank. It just keeps
displaying the last frame. What I discovered was that if I have
another window open (say, a terminal) and I alt-tab to that other
window, then it redraws the screen and everything is fine. I can
alt-tab back to myth and everything works fine.

The differences between this machine and my 2 frontends are very
minimal. All 3 systems use the same motherboard, CPU, ram, etc. Same
version of debian (though different packages installed) etc. The main
difference between these systems is that the dedicated frontends have
a G210 based graphics card using VDPAU and HDMI, whereas the backend
is just using the onboard nvidia 7150 graphics with myth's software
playback and VGA. A few years ago, before I added the G210 cards, my
frontends were also using the onboard video, and none of the systems
had the problem then. But then I was running with a different version
of debian, it was 32-bit, I had different drivers, an older version of
mythtv, etc, so a lot of things were different, and thus I'm not sure
which element was responsible for breaking things.

--
Ron Frazier