[mythtv-users] alternate remotes other than MCE?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 05:53:33 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
> On 12/4/2011 9:20 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>> On 12/4/2011 3:24 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>> At my parents house there are two MythTV frontends that are close
>>> enough where I'd like to have two separate set of remote codes so they
>>> don't interfere with each other (they have an open floor plan). Does
>>> anyone know of a decent USB remote that uses codes that are alternate
>>> to the standard MCE codes that we could use?
>>
>> The combination I've used for a few years now with my MCE USB recievers
>> has been a universal RCA RCRP05B Remote programmed as a Scientific
>> Atlanta 3250 cable box remote. This has given me the most flexibility
>> with the multi-function plus red/green/yellow/blue buttons and it being
>> a really cheap remote. Sometimes less than $15.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it looks like that remote is no longer manufactured. I've
>> been looking for a good replacement but haven't yet found it.
>
> Now that I Google it, I see that remote all over the place. Amazon has
> it for less than $14 with free shipping for orders over $25 too. It's
> worked well for me. In the living room with the main TV/AV/Myth setup
> and in the bedroom with a simpler (sort of) TV/Cablebox/Myth setup.

So the standard MCE IR receivers are able to pick up codes from other
devices easily it sounds like? That's an easy possibility since my
parents use universal remotes already so I could just program them for
another remote as it sounds like your suggesting.

I'll have to try a few other remote codes to see if I can find one that works.

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!