[mythtv-users] Recommendations for new motherboard/cpu combo

Quinten Steenhuis qsteenhuis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:05:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:11:14 -0400, Quinten Steenhuis
> <qsteenhuis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >       * HDMI output (seems standard now, but important)
> >       * Can handle full-screen HD video without acceleration
>
> Need some more information.  When you say HDMI output, are you just
> referring to video?  Do you want audio?  Do you want HD audio?  What kind
> of 'HD Video' are you looking to play in software.  I can whip up a
> 1920x1080p24 H264 video that my 10yr old Pentium 3 laptop would have no
> trouble decoding.  Do you mean ATSC broadcasts? DVB broadcasts?  HDPVR
> captures?  Bluray content?

I'd like it to be future compatible, as I said, but at this point I don't
have a Bluray player, so I'm mostly talking about ATSC broadcasts at 1080i.
I need both audio and video over the HDMI cable, but it does not need to be
HD audio. I'm just using the built-in TV speakers.

> > What I dislike about the existing combination:
> >       * Runs a little hot and thus is noisy to cool
> >
> > Thinking outside of the box, are there other good options for a fe/be
> > combo that don't just involve replacing the motherboard and CPU in my
> > existing system?
>
> Have you considered an independent backend?  Tuner cards (not relevent
> since youre using an HDHR) and hard drives are bulky, constrict airflow,
> and add heat.  A separate frontend and backend opens up some options for
> keeping a small, quiet, unobtrusive box hidden behind your TV.
> Alternatively, you can just drill a hole in the wall or floor for audio,
> video, and IR, and store the machine in another room.

I would consider it if I could meet my price point ($150) or close to it. I
can get an RMA for the motherboard to make it a backend without worrying
about the HDMI output or video card, so I guess that would just require a
$150 frontend. Does this exist?