[mythtv-users] Recommendations for new motherboard/cpu combo

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Aug 30 22:28:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:11:14 -0400, Quinten Steenhuis
<qsteenhuis at gmail.com> wrote:
>  	* HDMI output (seems standard now, but important)
> 	* Can handle full-screen HD video without acceleration

Need some more information.  When you say HDMI output, are you just
referring to video?  Do you want audio?  Do you want HD audio?  What kind
of 'HD Video' are you looking to play in software.  I can whip up a
1920x1080p24 H264 video that my 10yr old Pentium 3 laptop would have no
trouble decoding.  Do you mean ATSC broadcasts? DVB broadcasts?  HDPVR
captures?  Bluray content?

> What I dislike about the existing combination:
> 	* Runs a little hot and thus is noisy to cool
>
> Thinking outside of the box, are there other good options for a fe/be
> combo that don't just involve replacing the motherboard and CPU in my
> existing system?

Have you considered an independent backend?  Tuner cards (not relevent
since youre using an HDHR) and hard drives are bulky, constrict airflow,
and add heat.  A separate frontend and backend opens up some options for
keeping a small, quiet, unobtrusive box hidden behind your TV.
Alternatively, you can just drill a hole in the wall or floor for audio,
video, and IR, and store the machine in another room.