[mythtv-users] Silly question about live tv and two tuners

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 04:20:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Simon Jones <sijones2010 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Terrific Larry... Thank you so much.  One more question - when I delete
>> and add cards, is it necessary to do a channel scan again?  I didn't
>> know, so when I deleted and added the cards, I did two scans (which
>> takes awhile!).  Then I had to go back and delete the one marginal
>> channel (It says 67% strength, but it is blocky and caused a major
>> slowdown here a few nights ago when it just disappeared.  It is one of 3
>> other PBS stations I get, so I don't need it).
>>

> No, don't delete or scan channels, just add or delete your capture
> cards and then in Input associate the tuner with the Input and you'll
> be fine.
>
> With Myth a capture card is just a tuner, the Input is what says what
> channels on are on which Tuner.
>
> Another setting might be is to allow browse across Inputs, something
> like that, so you can see all channels across all cards.

I believe the best procedure is to add each physical tuner as ONE
tuner, ie no virtual tuners. This makes the two physical tuners number
1 and 2.

Then once you have done that, go back and add the virtual tuners,
which will be 3 and upwards.

Then when you go from tuner 1 to tuner 2, you go to the next physical
tuner, not the next virtual one.

I also believe that there is a more thorough post in the archives,
from Michael Dean, which it may be better to search for.