[mythtv-users] Request for help making live TV useable

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Apr 21 09:09:11 UTC 2011

On 20 Apr 2011, at 15:19, Adam Felson wrote:

>> Message: 18
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:04:57 +0100, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> spoke
>>

>> The advice often given is to schedule a recording then immediately
>> start watching that, ignoring the troublesome live TV player, this i
>> what I do on the odd time I want to watch something that is on now,
>> I usually leave the recording a few minutes so the ads can be
>> skipped past too.
>>
>> Has anyone considered restructuring live tv so it does exactly that?
>

> I'd hate to see that;  why have such complexity on such a simple task?

From following various live tv threads over the years I suspect it's already significantly more complicated than that and the code somewhat unloved!

> What I, and I suspect many others, have done is put a tv tuner on my entertainment system and have given up on using mythtv for live tv

That would be fine, I haven't watched any live tv since discovering I could buy cheap betamax vcrs (at the time tapes cost more than the machines) and programme one each for regular weekly TV shows ;-) The family has always worked wacky hours so we had a vcr in the 70's Philips 1500, mythtv is just a logical progression.

> .
>
> For LiveTV, UI is fine.  It should behave like a TV but with the ability to pause and it does when it isn't crashing and when it can actually change channels.

There are other htpc projects that behave like that myth seems happy to be different.