[mythtv-users] Buggy DVB drivers - is it worth to switch to master?

Ismo Tanskanen ismot at telemail.fi
Fri Apr 15 07:51:14 UTC 2011

Hi *

I want to ask all bleeding edge MythTV users about current master versus
latest 0.24-fixes: are - in current master branch, any improvements
related to recording tolerance for bugs/instabilities in DVB
infrastructure (drivers/TunerHW) ?

In other words: is it worth to switch to master for getting better
tolerance for buggy/unstable DVB drivers ?

My question is not related to BE stability itself but BE tolerance for
external issues (e.g. tuners infrastructure).
Currently my buggy DVB drivers sometimes have issue with reliably tune
(which is not big issue). The BIG issue is that in almost all such cases
it brings BE into deadlocked state.
I can go out from deadlock by:
-restarting BE
-waiting till last tuner access finished (means ending last recording or
active EIT gathering).

As active EIT gathering goes endlessly - practically I have to restart BE.

Is current master better that "old" good 0.24-fixes in his respect ?

I know there is Daniel's branch which probably may address this issue,
but is it ready to go with it in production environment ?
(Sure - it is dev branch, but BE deadlocks are so frustrating that I can
easily agree for worst general quality/stability in favor of not having
BE deadlocks).

Thx in advance

I have this problem too. After updating to latest 0.24-fixes (earlier I
had some version from february), it seems to show up more often.

Earlier I had to reboot mythbackend maybe once a week, sometimes it ran
two weeks ok, now I had to do it almost every day.

I am also interested about possible master improvements.

- Kane