[mythtv-users] Stuttering audio and video after upgrade to 0.24

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 09:24:03 UTC 2011

Hi.

Please help.

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my Myth system (one headless master
backend and one combined frontend/backend) to 0.24-fixes. Ever since
I've been suffering from stuttering audio and video.

After concentrating for a long time on video playback settings I noticed
that the problem also occurs when playing music, i.e. without video.

I have this problem only when playing back content (whether music or
recordings) in the frontend. If I quit the frontend and play the same
.mp3s in rythmbox or the same .mpgs in mplayer they are fine.

I have tried every conceivable setting (including every audio device the
scanner can find); please can you help?

By the way: the previous problem I reported here, namely that the
"enable realtime priority threads" setting is ineffectual (i.e. does not
result in the frontend actually requesting realtime priority) remains,
but I have worked around it by manually setting the priority using chrt.
This however does not help.

I have also pegged the CPU frequency to the maximum 1.5 GHz without
effect. I have fiddled with the PCI latency timers without effect (but
as I said it works fine in rythmbox and mplayer with those same settings).

This is a Via Epia EN15000G using only the on-board hardware (VT8237).
The upgrade did not involve an OS upgrade: I am running Ubuntu 10.04 and
pulled in 0.24-fixes from the mythbuntu repo.

root at fe2:~# mythfrontend --version
xprop:  unable to open display ''
MythTV Version   : v0.24-240-g1cfcb2b
MythTV Branch    : fixes/0.24
Network Protocol : 63
Library API      : 0.24.20101129-1
QT Version       : 4.6.2
Options compiled in:
  linux debug using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput
using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_directfb
using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr
using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_mheg
using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit
using_v4l using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau
using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg

Many thanks in advance for any hints whatsoever.

Jan