[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Suggestions on what to try next?

Tom Runner tomj.runner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 01:22:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Greg Hormann
<ghormann at alumni.indiana.edu>wrote:

> > Are you really using the composite input?  The main reason to use the
> HD-PVR
> > over other capture devices, is to get HD, and for HD you would need to be
> > using the component input.
>
> No, that was a lovely typo. :-)  I triple checked setup.  It is set to
> component.  I have the 3 video wires, and 2 audio wires connected.
>

> >> Regarding firmware, what should be reported from the "most current"
> >> firmware?  If I update, do I need to boot the device in windows, do
> >> the installation again, and update /lib/firmware on the mythbox?
> >
> > The latest firmware shows up as 0x15 in the Linux driver.
> >
> Cool.  That is what mine shows.

I had this issue, but can't remember what was the cause (some time ago +
plenty of other issues). But it was all a matter of setup. Here are few
things to cross-check:

- As John mentioned HDPVR is quite touchy. You said 3 video wires, do you
have the out ones, the box considers if you have in, you should have out.
- If you have cable out to your TV, is it stable on the TV.
- I had also a lot of issues, because of the provided component cables, I
changed them.
- Disable compiz
- In "Input source",  check you have nothing in "preset tuner to channel".
- Try another USB port, be careful, most of the times unplugging and
re-plugging requires powercycle of HDPVR

I'll try to remember the rest or check when at home.